Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230] >
Off topic: 泰晤士(TIMES)四合院儿
Thread poster: QHE
ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
Shangri-la? Nov 5, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangri-La
David Lin wrote:

老太太回答说:“我童年时刚好遇上打仗,日本人打香港,父母害怕女孩子会特别有危险。家附近的山上有一座佛寺日本军人大多信佛,于是父母将我和家中的姊妹都送去佛寺躲避。”

Try Google using the highlighted characters as key words and see what results you will get.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 05:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Green Grin :D Nov 5, 2014

[Edited at 2014-11-05 18:18 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Could it be that it's a color more favored in Western cultures? Nov 5, 2014

http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/color-green.html

The Color Green

The color green is the color of balance, 
harmony and growth

This is the color of balance and harmony. From a color psychology perspective, it is the great balancer of the heart and the emotions, creating equilibrium between the head and the heart.

From a meaning of colors perspective, green is also the color of growth, the color of spring, of renewal and rebirth. It renews and restores depleted energy. It is the sanctuary away from the stresses of modern living, restoring us back to a sense of well being. This is why there is so much of this relaxing color on the earth, and why we need to keep it that way.

Green is an emotionally positive color, giving us the ability to love and nurture ourselves and others unconditionally. A natural peacemaker, it must avoid the tendency to become a martyr.

http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/personality-color-green.html

If Your Favorite Color is Green

You are a practical, down-to-earth person with a love of nature.

You are stable and well balanced or are striving for balance - in seeking this balance, you can at times become unsettled and anxious.

Having a personality color green means you are kind, generous and compassionate - good to have around during a crisis as you remain calm and take control of the situation until it is resolved.

You are caring and nurturing to others - however you must be careful not to neglect your own needs while giving to others.

You are intelligent and love to learn - you are quick to understand new concepts.

With a personality color green you have a great need to love and to be loved and you tend to wear your heart on your sleeve- you are an open book who doesn't hide his/her feelings.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
a sanctuary Nov 5, 2014

ysun wrote: Shangri-la?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangri-La
David Lin wrote:

老太太回答说:“我童年时刚好遇上打仗,日本人打香港,父母害怕女孩子会特别有危险。家附近的山上有一座佛寺日本军人大多信佛,于是父母将我和家中的姊妹都送去佛寺躲避。”

Try Google using the highlighted characters as key words and see what results you will get.

Ysun,

In this war-time context the temple served as a sanctuary, a safe haven or a place for asylum for people who were vulnerable and suffered from enemy occupation. Shangri-la is just an imagination from an ancient novel 桃花源记 (as in the Chinese version) merely for your comfort of reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary

I doubt her parents would have thought of dreamland of 桃花源 when making a life-and-death decision which meant to separate the family by sending the daughters to a shrine deep in the mountain in order to survive from war atrocities.

In reality, a sanctuary sometimes works; sometimes it doesn't. It's not uncommon at all as seen in modern-day conflicts around the world. In this story, it obviously worked for the woman and her siblings who survived the horror of war which was notorious of gang rape, massacre and death due to starvation. Her parents apparently made the right decision for the safety and future of their children.

BTW, why could parents' seeking asylum for children be "very controversial"?

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
bouncing Nov 5, 2014

QHE wrote:

[Edited at 2014-11-05 18:18 GMT]

Thanks Q. I like the bouncing seemingly exhilarating one!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not a safe haven Nov 6, 2014

David Lin wrote:

In this war-time context the temple served as a sanctuary, a safe haven or a place for asylum for people who were vulnerable and suffered from enemy occupation.

Obviously, I didn't mean "parents' seeking asylum for children" could be "very controversial".

What could be "very controversial" is the conclusion that the temple was a safe haven just because "日本军人大多信佛" as you mentioned.

If you "try Google using the highlighted characters as key words", you will see why the conclusion could be "very controversial".

If you don't think the conclusion and further discussions about it could be very controversial, I wouldn't mind, but I will take extra precautions according to my experiences.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not my conclusion Nov 6, 2014

ysun wrote:

David Lin wrote:

In this war-time context the temple served as a sanctuary, a safe haven or a place for asylum for people who were vulnerable and suffered from enemy occupation.

Obviously, I didn't mean "parents' seeking asylum for children" could be "very controversial".

What could be "very controversial" is the conclusion that the temple was a safe haven just because "日本军人大多信佛" as you mentioned.

If you "try Google using the highlighted characters as key words", you will see why the conclusion could be "very controversial".

If you don't think the conclusion and further discussions about it could be very controversial, I wouldn't mind, but I will take extra precautions according to my experiences.

Ysun,

If you read the story carefully, the conclusion that the temple was a safe haven/sanctuary for their daughters was made by the parents in the story, n-o-t by me. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. However, personally I think it was a very difficult decision for the parents since there wasn't any google search in 1940s but just words of mouth (some could be rumours) about the terrible war that had gone on for five+ years at the time.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Know where to stop Nov 6, 2014

David Lin wrote:

ysun wrote:

David Lin wrote:

Ysun,

If you read the story carefully, the conclusion that the temple was a safe haven/sanctuary for their daughters was made by the parents in the story, n-o-t by me. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. However, personally I think it was a very difficult decision for the parents since there wasn't any google search in 1940s but just words of mouth (some could be rumours) about the terrible war that had gone on for five+ years at the time.

David,

If you read my posts and your own posts carefully, you will find that I didn’t put any words in your mouth. On the other hand, no matter who made the conclusion, it is still controversial.

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/controversial

Anyway, I am not going any further with this topic since I’ve already made my point crystal clear, not to mention that this topic could be very controversial, and we must abide by the forum rules. Like I said, I will take extra precautions according to my experiences, acquired recently as well as during 1960s and 1970s.

If you want to go any further with this controversial topic, just go ahead since we are not in the same position.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Time to change topic Nov 6, 2014

Ysun,

While I was really intrigued by your caution about some "deceased" persons' conclusion/decision made 72+ years ago, I agree that it doesn't bring us anywhere to discuss it any further. We agree to disagree as all gentlemen do.

To avoid any doubt in case readers' attention was diverted, allow me to stress that the main theme of my story is about a happy marriage of a 100+ year-old Chinese couple.

Cheers.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
紅磡觀音廟 Nov 6, 2014

本廟建於同治十二年(一八七三年)。善信以紅磡坊眾居多,大部分為主婦,間中亦有商人及漁民來參拜。

據稱在一九零九年,政府擬開路貫通紅磡與九龍城及尖沙咀的交通。工人在山區掘地的時候,忽然有紅色水柱自地底射出,於是有謠傳指是工人掘傷龍脈,工人因此不敢繼續工作。其後驗出水的顏色是地下水銀與琉璜所造成;工人猶有懼色,於是集資重修觀音廟,�
... See more
本廟建於同治十二年(一八七三年)。善信以紅磡坊眾居多,大部分為主婦,間中亦有商人及漁民來參拜。

據稱在一九零九年,政府擬開路貫通紅磡與九龍城及尖沙咀的交通。工人在山區掘地的時候,忽然有紅色水柱自地底射出,於是有謠傳指是工人掘傷龍脈,工人因此不敢繼續工作。其後驗出水的顏色是地下水銀與琉璜所造成;工人猶有懼色,於是集資重修觀音廟,希望得觀音庇蔭,使趨吉避凶。

此外,在第二次世界大戰末期,據說紅磡黃埔船廠是當時盟軍轟炸目標。一日有炸彈落於紅磡區,廟側屋宇蕩然無存,惟觀音廟則屹立如故,其側百餘名學生因而罹難,反而匿於廟內的人士無恙,居民均認為是觀音顯靈庇佑的緣故。

香港在一九四三年日治期間,英國政府允許盟軍,轟炸日軍在九龍船塢的據點,亦炸毀了不少民居,造成傷亡。其中最嚴重一次是誤中正在上課的紅磡三約街坊會公立小學,幾乎所有師生都死亡。紅磡觀音廟前後左右的屋宇不少被炸毀,但它仍是片瓦無傷,真是奇跡。-pkchanboston.blogspot.com

[Edited at 2014-11-06 19:29 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Extra precautions Nov 6, 2014

David Lin wrote:

Ysun,

While I was really intrigued by your caution about some "deceased" persons' conclusion/decision made 72+ years ago, ...

David,

"Please refrain from putting words in my mouth." The reason why I said “I will take extra precautions according to my experiences, acquired recently as well as during 1960s and 1970s” is that I was bitten in the foot by a poisonous snake in 1960s. Fortunately, I was wearing a pair of boots made of thick genuine leather at that time. Since then, I always take extra precautions whenever facing critical situations. Some people didn’t take extra precautions during 1960s and 1970s, and eventually learned bitter lessons, as you may know.

Cheers!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
慈兴寺 Nov 6, 2014

pkchan wrote:

紅磡觀音廟

慈兴寺 is located in a mountain area south of the Shenzhen River.
http://www.uutuu.com/dest/g.AS-CN-34-CiXingSi.htm

Some colleagues might also be interested in visiting 栖霞寺 of Nanking, which was the capital of China in 1937.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
History of 栖霞寺 Nov 6, 2014

You could learn more about 栖霞寺 by googling "栖霞寺 1937" if you would.

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BEYOND Nov 7, 2014

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/living-to-90-and-beyond

Men and women above the age of 90 are now the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. population. Yet very little is known about the oldest old, since until recently, there were so few of them. ...

Dr. Claudia Kawas spends a lot of time in Laguna Woods these days. She's a neurologist and professor at nearby UC Irvine who discovered the research equivalent of gold here -- information gathered from thousands of Leisure World residents back in 1981, with page after page of data about their diet, exercise, vitamins, and activities.

And comparing that data to how it's all turned out has yielded a slew of published findings about behaviors associated with living longer. So what's the verdict? No surprise: smokers died earlier than non-smokers. And what about exercise?

Claudia Kawas: People who exercised definitely lived longer than people who didn't exercise. As little as 15 minutes a day on average made a difference. Forty-five was the best. Even three hours didn't beat 45 minutes—

And non-physical activities -- book clubs, socializing with friends, board games -- all good.

Claudia Kawas: For every hour you spent doing activities in 1981, you increased your longevity and the benefit of those things never leveled off.

The subjects we spoke to had definitely been active, but they didn't strike us as having lived their lives worrying about their health.

Jane Whistler: I'm not a big vitamin person.

Lesley Stahl: Have you watched, over the years, what you ate?

Lou Tirado: Eh, not-- not really.

Lesley Stahl: Dessert?

Jane Whistler: Sure. I love dessert.

Ruthy Stahl: I always had a glass of wine before dinner. And now I still do, but I can't quite finish it.

Claudia Kawas: Moderate alcohol was associated with living longer than individuals who did not consume alcohol.

Lesley Stahl: Wait a minute. Ha-- moderate-- alcohol you live longer?

Claudia Kawas: Yes.

Up to two drinks a day led to a 10-15 percent reduced risk of death compared to non-drinkers.

Jane Whistler: Isn't that exciting?

And any kind of alcohol seemed to do the trick.

Claudia Kawas: A lot of people like to say it's only red wine. In our hands it didn't seem to matter.

Lesley Stahl: Martinis just as good.

Claudia Kawas: Yeah.

And there's good news for coffee drinkers. Caffeine intake equivalent to 1-3 cups of coffee a day was better than more, or none. And if you're concerned about those bulging waistlines, listen to this.

Claudia Kawas: It turns out that the best thing to do as you age is to at least maintain or even gain weight.

Lesley Stahl: Gain weight?

Claudia Kawas: Uh-huh.

Lesley Stahl: So being--

Claudia Kawas: Really.

Lesley Stahl: --a little overweight is good?

Claudia Kawas: Being obese is never good.

Lesley Stahl: Right.

And being overweight as a young person wasn't good either. But late in life, they found people who were overweight or average weight both outlived people who were underweight.

Claudia Kawas: It's not good to be skinny when you're old.

Claudia Kawas: If you have high blood pressure, it looks like your risk of dementia is lower--

Lesley Stahl: Lower?
Claudia Kawas: Than if you don't--

Lesley Stahl: High blood--

Claudia Kawas: --have high blood pressure--

Lesley Stahl: Wait. High blood pressure, lower risk of dementia?

Claudia Kawas: In a 90-year-old.

High blood pressure is still dangerous if you're younger. Yet another reason she says it's so important to study the oldest old.

[Edited at 2014-11-07 00:56 GMT]

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
socializing and exercise Nov 7, 2014

Q,

The 100+year-old couple I spoke to said they loved to meet with fellow Chinese old people in a community centre. They go to the centre in central London every day. Using public transportation which is free for senior citizens above 60 in London is one way to keep them "exercising" because they've to walk to a bus stop from home for a few minutes.

Apart from enjoying the free meal provided for members (whom they are) by the centre, they said talking/chatting about t
... See more
Q,

The 100+year-old couple I spoke to said they loved to meet with fellow Chinese old people in a community centre. They go to the centre in central London every day. Using public transportation which is free for senior citizens above 60 in London is one way to keep them "exercising" because they've to walk to a bus stop from home for a few minutes.

Apart from enjoying the free meal provided for members (whom they are) by the centre, they said talking/chatting about the past and the present on everything and about issues facing people of their age keeps life meaningful and helps to avoid/keep an eye on developing dementia.

In all, what they didn't say in their own words is in fact "to socialize with friends" is beneficial to longevity (as revealed in your quotation below).

It looks the East is the same as the West in ways to extend longevity.

QHE wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/living-to-90-and-beyond

Men and women above the age of 90 are now the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. population. Yet very little is known about the oldest old, since until recently, there were so few of them. ...

Dr. Claudia Kawas spends a lot of time in Laguna Woods these days. She's a neurologist and professor at nearby UC Irvine who discovered the research equivalent of gold here -- information gathered from thousands of Leisure World residents back in 1981, with page after page of data about their diet, exercise, vitamins, and activities.

And comparing that data to how it's all turned out has yielded a slew of published findings about behaviors associated with living longer. So what's the verdict? No surprise: smokers died earlier than non-smokers. And what about exercise?

Claudia Kawas: People who exercised definitely lived longer than people who didn't exercise. As little as 15 minutes a day on average made a difference. Forty-five was the best. Even three hours didn't beat 45 minutes—

And non-physical activities -- book clubs, socializing with friends, board games -- all good.

Claudia Kawas: For every hour you spent doing activities in 1981, you increased your longevity and the benefit of those things never leveled off.

The subjects we spoke to had definitely been active, but they didn't strike us as having lived their lives worrying about their health.

Jane Whistler: I'm not a big vitamin person.

Lesley Stahl: Have you watched, over the years, what you ate?

Lou Tirado: Eh, not-- not really.

Lesley Stahl: Dessert?

Jane Whistler: Sure. I love dessert.

Ruthy Stahl: I always had a glass of wine before dinner. And now I still do, but I can't quite finish it.

Claudia Kawas: Moderate alcohol was associated with living longer than individuals who did not consume alcohol.

Lesley Stahl: Wait a minute. Ha-- moderate-- alcohol you live longer?

Claudia Kawas: Yes.

Up to two drinks a day led to a 10-15 percent reduced risk of death compared to non-drinkers.

Jane Whistler: Isn't that exciting?

And any kind of alcohol seemed to do the trick.

Claudia Kawas: A lot of people like to say it's only red wine. In our hands it didn't seem to matter.

Lesley Stahl: Martinis just as good.

Claudia Kawas: Yeah.

And there's good news for coffee drinkers. Caffeine intake equivalent to 1-3 cups of coffee a day was better than more, or none. And if you're concerned about those bulging waistlines, listen to this.

Claudia Kawas: It turns out that the best thing to do as you age is to at least maintain or even gain weight.

Lesley Stahl: Gain weight?

Claudia Kawas: Uh-huh.

Lesley Stahl: So being--

Claudia Kawas: Really.

Lesley Stahl: --a little overweight is good?

Claudia Kawas: Being obese is never good.

Lesley Stahl: Right.

And being overweight as a young person wasn't good either. But late in life, they found people who were overweight or average weight both outlived people who were underweight.

Claudia Kawas: It's not good to be skinny when you're old.

Claudia Kawas: If you have high blood pressure, it looks like your risk of dementia is lower--

Lesley Stahl: Lower?
Claudia Kawas: Than if you don't--

Lesley Stahl: High blood--

Claudia Kawas: --have high blood pressure--

Lesley Stahl: Wait. High blood pressure, lower risk of dementia?

Claudia Kawas: In a 90-year-old.

High blood pressure is still dangerous if you're younger. Yet another reason she says it's so important to study the oldest old.

[Edited at 2014-11-07 00:56 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

泰晤士(TIMES)四合院儿

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »