Chinese to English specific aligner
Thread poster: paoguer
paoguer
paoguer
United States
Jan 20, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to find an aligner designed specifically for Chinese to English and that deals well with the character/word count difference between source and target text. I’ve tried LF aligner, Wordfast aligners, and MemoQ live docs, and have found difficulties resulting from the differences in structure between the two languages.
I have many translations already completed so it would be great to find an aligner that could easily convert these to TMs without having to do
... See more
Hi,

I am trying to find an aligner designed specifically for Chinese to English and that deals well with the character/word count difference between source and target text. I’ve tried LF aligner, Wordfast aligners, and MemoQ live docs, and have found difficulties resulting from the differences in structure between the two languages.
I have many translations already completed so it would be great to find an aligner that could easily convert these to TMs without having to do massive hand alignment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Paola
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LF Aligner Feb 18, 2014

paoguer wrote:

Hi,

I have many translations already completed so it would be great to find an aligner that could easily convert these to TMs without having to do massive hand alignment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Paola

Well, it's been a month but I noticed this just now.
If there's something simple I can do to improve the performance of LF Aligner with Chinese, let me know. Right now, the sentence segmenter only chops up Chinese text based on the Chinese full stop (circle), question mark and exclamation point. If there are other sentence-ending characters, let me know. Apart from that I don't think I can do much, I don't know of any aligners with strong Chinese support. You're probably better off looking for one using Chinese search terms.

Laura Brown
Laura Brown  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
LF Aligner for XLS to TMX, Mac Nov 4, 2016

This is a very old discussion, but I had a question about the LF Aligner for Mac. I'm trying to convert a series of xls glossaries (first column Chinese characters, second column in English) into tmx TM databases. I downloaded your aligner, but when I try to save the excel document as a tab delimited text (.txt) file, the Chinese characters do not appear in the txt file at all (they simply come out as lines). I'm assuming this is UTF-8, as UTF-16 is specified in another saving format. I am using... See more
This is a very old discussion, but I had a question about the LF Aligner for Mac. I'm trying to convert a series of xls glossaries (first column Chinese characters, second column in English) into tmx TM databases. I downloaded your aligner, but when I try to save the excel document as a tab delimited text (.txt) file, the Chinese characters do not appear in the txt file at all (they simply come out as lines). I'm assuming this is UTF-8, as UTF-16 is specified in another saving format. I am using Excel 2016 for Mac - do you know what the problem is?

Thanks,
Laura

FarkasAndras wrote:

Well, it's been a month but I noticed this just now.
If there's something simple I can do to improve the performance of LF Aligner with Chinese, let me know. Right now, the sentence segmenter only chops up Chinese text based on the Chinese full stop (circle), question mark and exclamation point. If there are other sentence-ending characters, let me know. Apart from that I don't think I can do much, I don't know of any aligners with strong Chinese support. You're probably better off looking for one using Chinese search terms. [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese to English specific aligner

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »