Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is the term 'professional' merely a cliche?
Thread poster: Sandesh Ghimire
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 10:00
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Artsy and nerdy Apr 20, 2015

DZiW wrote:
2) usually one can be either good at classic/humanities -OR- exact sciences; rarely both.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one, being an example for the opposite. I acknowledge that when we are young, we tend to be on one of the extremes on the humanities/sciences scale - but that doesn't rule out the possibility to venture to the other side and get a good grip of both. I would actually recommend and encourage doing that - using only one side of the brain is extremely limiting and all aspects of our life can greatly benefit from a good mix of the "artsy and nerdy".

Harnessing both my creativity and my fascination with technology makes me a great marketing translator for all things technical - a professional Marketing/Technology translator! To be professional, understanding the source language and delivering projects in time definitively helps... although in cases where even these basics are not complied with, I wouldn't blame the PMs who hunt for the lowest rate. There are unfortunately many people out there that overestimate their capabilities, not just in translation.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Professional vs. Unprofessional Sep 7, 2015

Here's a video showing the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm27scbuNjg

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the term 'professional' merely a cliche?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »