Andrew Tooms
France
Local time: 03:13
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2017

Hi all

l use SDL Trados Studio 2014 on a MacBook Air, via Parallels. I use Time Machine on an external hard disk.

This is a long story:

A few days ago I had no space left on the Mac, to the extent I was unable to use Mail. I decided to use iCloud Drive to give myself more space, but I got an error message saying there were too many files, or too many nested files. All my files were nevertheless transferred to iCloud Drive, but in my Documents folder on the
... See more
Hi all

l use SDL Trados Studio 2014 on a MacBook Air, via Parallels. I use Time Machine on an external hard disk.

This is a long story:

A few days ago I had no space left on the Mac, to the extent I was unable to use Mail. I decided to use iCloud Drive to give myself more space, but I got an error message saying there were too many files, or too many nested files. All my files were nevertheless transferred to iCloud Drive, but in my Documents folder on the Finder all that remained was an empty Parallels folder and an empty Microsoft User Data folder.

At this point I decided, on Apple's advice, to change from a 120Gb HD to 480Gb.

On rebooting I used the most recent Time Machine backup to restore my files, therefore with an empty Documents folder. I then copied all the files from iCloudDrive back onto my Mac Desktop as a Documents folder, and then dragged this folder into the Finder. This was unsatisfactory however, so I decided to use a Time Machine backup dating from before my use of iCloud Drive to recover my files. However as a result the Documents folder disappeared from Finder.

Also Parallels was not working. After contacting Apple and Parallels I now have the Documents folder back in the Finder, and Parallels is working correctly.

However, and this is why I am posting, Trados is malfunctioning. It turns out that the Time Machine backup restored my Trados files in the host Mac OS instead of the guest Windows OS. As a result I am unable to use Trados, e.g. I continually get "Cannot find central directory" errors when trying to add files to a project.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem using Time Machine backups?
Would a possible solution be to delete Trados and re-install from scratch?

I would be grateful for any ideas.

Bye
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados files Jul 23, 2017

I have ran Trados and other Windows programs on Boot Camp partitions and on Parallels 8 and lately 11 on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Help me understand: what Trados files are you talking about? The program files? Or translation files you processed with Trados?

A 120 GB hard drive is puny to run Mac and Parallels, in my experience. So, Apple's advice seems common sense. My current SSD drive is 500 GB and this capacity is adequate for my current needs.

I am checking my own Docum
... See more
I have ran Trados and other Windows programs on Boot Camp partitions and on Parallels 8 and lately 11 on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Help me understand: what Trados files are you talking about? The program files? Or translation files you processed with Trados?

A 120 GB hard drive is puny to run Mac and Parallels, in my experience. So, Apple's advice seems common sense. My current SSD drive is 500 GB and this capacity is adequate for my current needs.

I am checking my own Documents folder and it has a Parallels subfolder containing the .pvm file (the virtual Windows machine). From what I'm reading, you lost that file?

It seems to me you tried different approaches all over the place. What is your current configuration? Sorry if I'm sounding impatient, but I'm not. I'm just trying to understand your predicament better.
Collapse

Andrew Tooms
Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not looking good Jul 23, 2017

Thanks for replying Mario.

I mean the Trados system files and folders. For example at C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\ there should be a file called 11.0.0.0. But in my Windows Explorer, the AppData folder does not exist.

I have just been speaking to an Apple Care Senior Adviser, and he confirmed to me that Time Machine does not restore the Parallels partition in Windows format. It restores it in Mac format, which is no use to anyone. He said
... See more
Thanks for replying Mario.

I mean the Trados system files and folders. For example at C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\ there should be a file called 11.0.0.0. But in my Windows Explorer, the AppData folder does not exist.

I have just been speaking to an Apple Care Senior Adviser, and he confirmed to me that Time Machine does not restore the Parallels partition in Windows format. It restores it in Mac format, which is no use to anyone. He said my problem is a Parallels issue. But Parallels say their product is functioning and therefore my problem is a software vendor issue (i.e. Trados). Trados say I "screwed up" the restore (in fact Apple avoid publicising the fact Time Machine doesn't restore Parallels partitions) and so I am "on my own". So I've been going round in circles.

I haven't lost the pvm file, it's just that the pvm file I have (originating from the Time Machine restore) does not contain the correct Trados system files and folders.

My current configuration is a 480 Gb HD, OS Sierra.

I'm considering changing to a Mac CAT tool, such as CafeTran. Do you know anything about it?

Bye

Andy
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Re-install Jul 23, 2017

Andrew Tooms wrote:

Would a possible solution be to delete Trados and re-install from scratch?

I'm considering changing to a Mac CAT tool, such as CafeTran. Do you know anything about it?

I'd uninstall and re-install Studio, if I were you. For clarity you could remove folders like 11.0.0.0 (at least I recall that it's a folder rather than a file; I'm not sure that it relates to Studio 14). I think it stores version specific info, like plug-ins. Please ask here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity

CafeTran is integrated nicely in macOS, you use the full 64-bit memory managent and speed.

Support of Studio files (TMs, projects etc.) is good, except for Multiterm databases (you have to export them in Studio).

[Edited at 2017-07-23 18:22 GMT]

Andrew Tooms
Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Packages? Jul 23, 2017

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to manage SDL Trados packages in CafeTran? A lot of my customers use them.

Bye

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados reinstall Jul 23, 2017

Hi, Andrew,

I had no idea Time Machine mishandles Parallels virtual machines. I'll have to look into it for my own benefit.

I have to agree with CafeTrans: a clean reinstall of Trados should help you in the short and long term.

Before you do anything, I would make sure I have an almost pristine and functional Windows system. A program called CCleaner is the thing to have to do Windows cleanup and maintenance. I've been using it for more than 5 years on all
... See more
Hi, Andrew,

I had no idea Time Machine mishandles Parallels virtual machines. I'll have to look into it for my own benefit.

I have to agree with CafeTrans: a clean reinstall of Trados should help you in the short and long term.

Before you do anything, I would make sure I have an almost pristine and functional Windows system. A program called CCleaner is the thing to have to do Windows cleanup and maintenance. I've been using it for more than 5 years on all my machines, and there's even a Mac version.

To answer your question: Nope, I haven't used CafeTrans on my Mac. I actually use Déjà Vu X3 on all my Windows machines. By the way, I only run Windows 7 Pro (or Ultimate on a second, backup machine). I ain't touching any Windows OS newer than that. For now.

Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Time Machine and Parallels Jul 23, 2017

Hi, Andrew

I dug up tech advice from Parallels regarding virtual machines and how they can be properly backed up in Time Machine. Follow this link: http://kb.parallels.com/en/8827
Note: make sure you go to the Virtual Machine settings panel first.

I double checked my Parallels 11 configuration and made sure my Time Machine backups treat my Windows virtual machine cor
... See more
Hi, Andrew

I dug up tech advice from Parallels regarding virtual machines and how they can be properly backed up in Time Machine. Follow this link: http://kb.parallels.com/en/8827

I double checked my Parallels 11 configuration and made sure my Time Machine backups treat my Windows virtual machine correctly.
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
CafeTran supports Studio packages too Jul 24, 2017

Andrew Tooms wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to manage SDL Trados packages in CafeTran? A lot of my customers use them.

Bye

CafeTran supports Studio packages too. An embedded TM will be used too. Termbases won't. You can return the translated Studio package as a Studio return package ... or forward it as a new Studio package.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Snapshots Jul 24, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hi, Andrew

I double checked my Parallels 11 configuration and made sure my Time Machine backups treat my Windows virtual machine correctly.

Perhaps this is already well known info, but these snapshots can take up a lot of SSD space. So once you've found a VM to be stable on your MBA, you might want to delete all snapshots and to compact the VM. It's also a good idea to do any testing on a secondary VM on an external drive. Of course, with a fully integrated CAT tool at the Mac side, you can save loads of disk space, time and ado.

How about this set up for maximum disk space on the MBA: install CafeTran on the MBA and Windows on an external disk, for occasional use, like extracting termbases or handle Studio's tracked changes (both features being high on the user base's request list at https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000053542 ).

[Edited at 2017-07-24 17:29 GMT]

Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Parallels # CafeTran Jul 24, 2017

It is never a good idea to handle Parallels Backups (the pvm file) or any other VM backups with Time Machine (no matter what they say). Use a separate backup up program (under Windows) instead.

To get back (some of) your data, there is an app called Parallels Mount to access your data in the old pvm file. But you will need to reinstall Studio, anyway. Studio has many dependencies with other programs.

Indeed, CafeTran is a very versatile, productive solution to handle p
... See more
It is never a good idea to handle Parallels Backups (the pvm file) or any other VM backups with Time Machine (no matter what they say). Use a separate backup up program (under Windows) instead.

To get back (some of) your data, there is an app called Parallels Mount to access your data in the old pvm file. But you will need to reinstall Studio, anyway. Studio has many dependencies with other programs.

Indeed, CafeTran is a very versatile, productive solution to handle packages. It needs some configuration (it is not necessarily intuitive), but after getting used to it your translation speed might increase. No more VM slowing down your machine! For my needs I am working with CafeTran and start the VM (VirtualBox in my case) only to convert files to target files (and sometimes native files to sdlxliff files), nothing more.
Collapse

Andrew Tooms
Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now rebooting Jul 24, 2017

Yes I have come to the same conclusion about Time Machine. I'll be using a Windows backup solution for Parallels from now on.

I am in the process of wiping the Parallels partition and reinstalling Studio.

Bye

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More information Jul 24, 2017

Rox-Edling wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing why this is never a good idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems using Trados Studio from Time Machine backup

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »